After reading about almost every other blogger in the blogiverse do their closet inventory, I knew I wanted to do one. Being the procrastinator that I am, it’s only just now getting done. By taking a closest inventory, I knew I would be better prepared to know exactly what I had and what I needed.
|Yes, this is my closet. No, it’s not an accurate representation. Usually it’s chaos.
I decided there was no better time to take my inventory than when I fully committed to giving a capsule wardrobe a try for late summer. Since most of what I read while doing capsule wardrobe research suggested cleaning out your closet, I thought it would be my best chance to count everything.
Here are the numbers::
10 sleeveless tops
5 graphic tees
6 short sleeve tops
8 three-quarter sleeve tops
8 long sleeve tops
41 sweaters (including cardigans)
7 heavy weight cotton tops (like embellished sweatshirts)
21 basic tanks
11 short sleeve tees
3 long sleeve tees
41 pairs of shoes
Total:: 251 pieces
I didn’t count undergarments, outerwear (like heavy winter coats), leggings/tights, swim wear, or active wear.
I’m not nearly as appalled by this as you might be, (maybe you’re not at all) partially because I was purging as I went. For example, sleeveless tops went from 20 down to 10 while I was taking inventory. Living in Georgia makes dressing kinda hard– or hard in my opinion. I may be exempt from having to wear parka-like coats during the winter and snow boots, but we experience seasons. Sometimes we experience those seasons all in a month. “Spring” in Georgia can vary from highs in the 50s to highs in the 90s, sometimes in the same week. This makes it hard to decide what you know you won’t need until that season rolls around again. So 200 out of that 249 was trying to hang in my closet all at the same time. That just did not work for me. Also, what doesn’t work is the fact that J.Crew puts out great looking stuff in three-ten color variations. If I like it in one, it’s like something in my head tells me I’ll love it in all the colors. It’s probably my OCD taking over, telling me I have to have all the colors and they have to be arranged in ROYGBIV order. That’s going to have to take a back seat from now on. I don’t need all the colors. I just don’t. Tees, well that’s a different story, but fashion tops, where it’s obvious that you wore that top yesterday just in different colors, I probably don’t need four of. There’s one top
in recent years that J.Crew has put out that I actually wear all the colors I own of it. In fact, if you missed it last year, factory
has it this year and I highly recommend it in any color. That’s going to be a big change for me.
After taking inventory and learning from my late summer capsule (I’m trying to build anticipation for that post, can you tell?), I decided to take my needs as the weather related to them. My only summer need going on the list is because I wore them out kind of last minute and I think I can still get a pair at a decent summer closeout price. Otherwise, all my needs are looking forward with an eye on the weather.
- flat black sandals— as you learned yesterday, this year’s pair was laid to rest after an unfortunate weather related accident.
- navy blue pencil skirt— I decided I needed navy blue instead of black. It flows with my over all color scheme in my closet. (checked this one off today!)
- navy blue gingham top— pink gingham for spring, which I already have, and a navy to work with the black and for layering this fall. (checked this one off too, with a top that didn’t work at the beginning of the summer. yay for progress!)
- black suede booties— something about black leather booties just doesn’t suit my style
- cognac leather booties— an alternative to suede for when it’s raining and cognac goes with black and navy
- black riding boots— riding boots suit my style, and I would like to have the opportunity to give my brown ones a break
- black knit dress— I’m hoping to a madewell repeat of my summer friday stripe dress success in a black version with short sleeves. I’ve looked at the matinee dress. I wish it wasn’t online only. Gap also has some knit dresses for winter, but they remind me so much of the ones I wore from Gap Kid in the early 90s.
Those are going to be my “needs” or “holes” for now. I plan on assessing the situation again once the weather actually gets cooler and I pull all my fall/winter stuff back out again. (oy) How are things in your closet? Did you do an inventory? What do you need in your closet?