Over on Pinterest, I have a whole board dedicated to fantastic looking master suite retreats. I collected several ideas. Our home is small and was finished right before Corey (my husband) and I got married, so there wasn’t any time (or money) to customize and decorate when we first got married. Instead of actually getting to build and install my ideas, I pinned ideas for the house. Last month, one the ideas I fell in love with immediately was built and finished. Corey did all the step-by-step handiwork to bring my idea to life!
I was allured by this picture after I saw it on Design*Sponge:
There’s nothing wrong with it, so it didn’t need replacing. I decided I would have to modify the ornate frame around the “pinspiration” for our space and add a storage ledge onto the frame, like a chalkboard ledge, for things like toothpaste and toothbrushes. I got to work taking measurements and sketching what I thought it should look like. This is what I took with me to the big box hardware store to pick out wood with.
The big box store had precut pieces of Birch in various sizes, so we compared the measurements and picked out wood. I learned something new in the lumber isle that day. A 2×4 is not actually a 2×4, but rather it’s really more like a 1.5×3.5. The “2×4” is just a rough dimension and the whole numbers are easier to add and subtract. He did all the math in his head (crazy talk!) and we bought the lumber for the frame and bought a piece for the shelf. In order to make sure that the cuts were straight, he had an employee in the lumber department cut the lumber for us. We also picked up some “L” shaped brackets, washers, wood nails, mirror mastic, and wood pegs.
This is where something happened with my pictures. When I updated to iOS 7, the majority of my pictures of steps disappeared, so now this becomes the story of a do it yourself project.
After he assembled the ledge pieces together, he drilled holes into the back of the ledge for the wood pegs and into the bottom part of the frame for the mirror. (Dimensions are in the next step for the frame pieces.) Using wood glue and clamps, Corey attached the ledge to the bottom piece of the frame. He let that set for at least an hour so that the wood glue dried and it would be sturdy enough to hold what we wanted to put on it.
In the meantime, he installed the new shelf. This was much easier than the frame, at least from my point of view. I picked the height I wanted it at, Corey screwed the “L” brackets into the legs of the vanity and the back, and boom! the shelf was installed.